So to go along with my new spinning wheel I want to also learn to prepare fleece. I did some research and for American wool, there are a few breeds of sheep that are easier to spin than others. I read about some of the breeds and decided a full blood Romney is the breed I want to try to find and spin. I found several folks on the internet who sold Romney roving (already prepared for spinning) but I wanted to do it myself. I have practiced some with carding with Liesl, but have not done it alone yet. I also researched the difference between carding and combing, and based on the type of fleece I am planning on obtaining, I want to comb it. Tool research is next.
When looking for a fleece, I ran across Skylines Farm http://www.skylinesfarm.com/ in Idaho. They are a small run farm, and avoid chemicals in their practices. http://www.skylinesfarm.com/managementpractices.htm Their sheep are raised specifically for spinning fleece. They have sound fleece practices and I loved their photos and information they shared on their website. I emailed Melissa and we had a great dialog back and forth and she answered all my questions. I decided to start small, and the sheep Bonnie had a lovely half a fleece available - see here is a photo of it:
I will be getting 4 pounds of it, look how clean and lovely it looks! What is so cool, is I can even reserve Bonnie's or any of their other sheep wools not yet spoken for, for next year. That is almost like its my sheep :) Isn't that cool?
There are several types of both natural color, and white sheep on this farm. I wanted to start with white, mainly because I plan to try to dye it too. BUT, they had this really lovely almost black fleece they had not sold yet. I dont think two fleece are in my budget nor expertise, but I asked Melissa if I could maybe just have a little lock of this lamb's fleece, just to how it feels/looks compared to Bonnie and she said no problem. See look at this, isnt the color beautiful! Maybe next year?
What fun this adventure is going to be!

No comments:
Post a Comment