Monday, May 16, 2011

A request from a great friend

5/19/11
A very good friend of mine, Alice, contacted me today.  She asked a simple request, would I make an inkle trim cord for her handfasting.  Of course!  I feel like I have grown closer to Dan and Alice over the past year and count them both as great friends.  I was honored to make an important item for them, especially with an art, weaving, that I so enjoy.


Their needs were simple, they wanted purple in it, they like color, so any highly saturated color for contrast would be great, or a variegated.  Orange, red, teal would be fine.  They asked for some type of pattern, just to show off the color, but nothing complicated. 1/2" or 1" would be great.   My  larger loom will be the length.

With that, I began thinking, really thinking.   I have a short time so needed to use something I already have. It was providence that I have these colors already in my stash!  I have some great soft silky bamboo, which I chose that as the fiber to symbolize sex and intimacy, in this dark orange for Alice and deep purple for Dan, with a little accent in the design and edged in white.     I know white isn't bold but I wanted a real contrast in the darker colors, and plus wanted it to symbolize love and purity of marriage.  I found a pattern in a book, one I have never done, plus I tweaked it a little.  Here is the design that gave me inspiration (I am only using part of this design, the pink/green with navy outline, but in orange/purple with white outline:


Even though they are having the hand fasting sooner, I wanted to use the wedding date of 9-24 in my design.  The design will be 24 threads wide, should be at least half an inch with that many I am hoping, might be slightly less but I thought to sacrifice width for number.  That gives the 24 part.  Now, for the 9, I have integrated that in the design threads.  The colors of purple and orange will "overlap" by 9 threads, with a design that made me think of interlocking fingers (looks like interlocking combs), to represent hands clasped together.   

Here is my work up:
I will warp up the loom tomorrow.

Michael took some photos of me warping it, but he hasnt given them to me yet :P


The flash kinda blew out the colors on this one.  All warped up and ready to weave.


 I couldnt get this one in focus as well as I wanted.

5/27/11
I got it finished tonight.


 
  Minus tassels, its 92 inches long- a little shorter than I thought it would be.  It looks so small in the photo!

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving it. It looks so great!
    Thank you so much for making this for us, and putting so much thought into it.

    ReplyDelete